IT’S DAY 7! Are you ready? Roll out of bed and roll out your MAT!
Today’s specials are Downward-Facing Dog and Side plank variations! Both dishes are full- bodied and robust with flavors that will fancy all palates, leaving you feeling light, refreshed and energized. Best paired with a small side of Sun A and Sun B as warm up starters, then for dessert we have a sweet mini vinyasa flow that will leave your taste buds wanting more!!
So hope you’re hungry!!
Downward Facing Dog –Adho Mukha Svanasan
Benefits: Lengthens and strengthens your arms and legs, the entire back and spinal muscles, stretches hamstrings, calves, arches, and opens the shoulder muscles. It calms the brain, helping in relieving stress and mild depression while energizing the body. It also relieves headaches, insomnia, back pain, fatigue and improves digestion. This pose can be therapeutic for high blood pressure, asthma, sciatica, sinusitis and menstrual discomfort.
How to:Start on all fours/ hands and knees. (table top position-Keep wrists shoulder width apart and knees hip width apart with a neutral flat back)
- Spread your fingers wide and push into the mat with your knuckles to feel fully rooted.
- On an EXHALE -Tuck your toes under and lift your hips up and back, legs are straight or softly bent depending on your flexibility.
- Your heels work to push down into the mat. ( It’s ok if your heels don’t touch as long as they are actively working towards the mat)
- Relax your neck and face muscles
- Rotate your shoulders away from your ears (external rotation), Create a long spine as your hips continue to reach back; actively working your chest towards your thighs.
- Engage your core, Practice Ujjayi Breath practice- 5 full deep breaths
-Option to pedal out for feet and maintain a slight bend in your knees before returning to stillness.
Side Plank w/ variations- Vashistasan
Benefits:Strengthens the arms, belly, legs and wrists and stretches the backs of the legs and improves balance.
How to: Start in high plank with your wrists stacked under your shoulders. Your hands shoulder width and your feet hip-width apart. Belly engaged forming a strong straight line from the top of your head to your heel.
- Shift your weight into your right hand and foot, press into your index figure and shift onto the outer edge of your right foot.
- Stack your left foot on top of the right or option to keep both heels grounded on your mat as you shift your heels down.
- Lift your left arm high to the sky directly over your left shoulder; gaze over your left shoulder.
- Squeeze shoulder blades together, keep hips lifted, engage your core and triceps.
- Strengthen your thighs, and press through the heels toward the floor.
BREATHE 5 full breaths….
Now we flow…….MMMMMmmmmmm….